ACTON RACECOURSE

Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Saturday 17th April 1830
Final meeting: Saturday 17th April 1830
Today Acton is a large, heavily populated area in West London just 10 kilometres West of the busy Charing Cross. Acton, meaning ‘farm by oak trees’ was an ancient village which once had its own racecourse. However, its only recorded meeting took place in April 1830 and, not surprisingly, there is no evidence in the built up suburb it has become today that races were held in the area. The 25 sovereigns per side Steeplechase, over a 5 mile course, started in a field at the back of Mr Nicholl’s house at the 1/8th milestone on the Edgware road, and ran 5 miles to Mr Anderson’s field 1/3rd of a mile from London. The winner was Mr Caldecott’s Rider who defeated Mr Caldecott’s unnamed chestnut, with Lord Ranelagh’s Wonder in third.


This racecourse is covered in Volume 2 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Patrons Lord Ranelagh, Lord Belfast, Lord Clanricarde
Principal races Action 25 Sovereigns Steeplechase

Saturday 17th April 1830
Acton 25 Sovereigns Steeplechase over 5 miles
1. Rider, chestnut mare owned by Mr Caldecott
2. Unnamed chestnut horse owned by Mr Caldecott
3. Wonder, grey horse owned by Lord Ranelagh
4. Stilton, bay horse owned by Lord Belfast

The final meeting took place on Saturday 17th April 1830.
Course today A 5 mile course started at Mr Nicholl’s house on the Edgware road and proceeded to Mr Anderson’s field 1/3rd mile from London.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
ORDER FORM
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Total    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com