Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Friday 18th February 1842
Final meeting: Saturday 15th April 1922
The Northumberland town and seaport of Amble lies at the mouth of the River Coquet close to the beautiful nature reserves at Cresswell and Hauxley. It has held race meetings at various times in its history, traditionally on Easter Saturday, often coinciding with feasts and festivals. Initially a straight course was set up on nearby Whitehouse Sands heading towards Hauxley, and then more permanent courses were used in local fields, including the field which has now become a cemetery. The earliest record of a meeting in the town was in 1842 when the town promoted its own St Leger, although it is not as old as the Classic at Doncaster. In the 1840s entries had to be made at the Radcliffe Arms, and later the Queen’s Head, with Ordinaries prepared by Captain Perrin in the 1890s, and meetings usually finished with a dance. There was a long period when no races were staged in the town, but they were then revived for a brief period in the early 1920s before the final meeting on Saturday 15th April 1922.

Local Patrons Mr George Hornsby (Steward), Edward Whitfield (Steward)
Principal Races Amble St Leger, Silver Cup, Gloster Hill Handicap

Friday 18th February 1842
The Amble St Leger
1. Sugar Loaf, brown filly owned by Mr Barkis
2. Stone Mason, brown colt owned by Mr Hornsby
3. Post-Boy, black colt owned by Mr Henderson

The final meeting took place on Saturday 15th April 1922.
Course today At various times on Whitehouse Sands, the local cemetery and on the outskirts of the town.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to