AMERSHAM RACECOURSE

Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: 1729
Final meeting: Saturday 30th March 1833

The Buckinghamshire market town of Amersham, some 43 kilometres north west of London, had its own racecourse in the early 1700s. The first occasion Amersham races were recorded was in 1729 and they continued for each of the next five years until 1734. However, races were revived in the early 1800s, culminating in a final meeting under rules on Saturday 30th March 1833. That steeplechase meeting began in a field at the rear of the Pheasant Inn owned by Mr Allan, and continued down the Chalfont to Amersham road, running for a mile in a valley before finishing in a long meadow on the edge of Amersham. The winner was Mr Anderson’s grey horse Arbutus. Although this was the last time official meetings were held in the town, annual races administered by Captain T H T Drake did take place on Easter Monday towards the end of the 19th century at Shardeloes Park. These races included Galloway, pony and thoroughbred racing over hurdles. 


This racecourse is covered in Volume 2 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Patrons Lord Pembroke, Captain T H T Drake
Principal races Amersham 25 Sovereigns Steeplechase

Saturday 30th March 1833
Amersham 25 Sovereigns Steeplechase
1. Arbutus, grey horse owned by Mr Anderson
2. Jerry, grey gelding owned by Mr Kent
3. Antelope, bay gelding owned by Mr Fairlie
4. Peveril, bay gelding owned by Lord Pembroke
5. Nell Gwynne, bay mare owned by Mr Munroe
6. Zigzag, chestnut gelding owned by Mr Horn

The final meeting took place on Saturday 30th March 1833.
Course today Initially in fields at the rear of the Pheasant Inn and then at Shardeloes Park.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
ORDER FORM
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Total    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com