BANGOR

  Badges through the decades

Brief History

1859

First records of a National Hunt meeting taking place at Bangor on Dee on 12th February. The meeting was founded by the members of the Sir Watkin Williams Wyn Hunt.

1869

A famous day in Bangor’s history, with Fred Archer riding his first winner, Maid of Trent, in the Galloway Steeplechase. At the time of riding the winner he was just 12 and weighed 4st 11 lb and he was in his first season as apprentice to the trainer Matt Dawson.

1887

Gamecock triumphs in a Steeplechase at Bangor prior to gaining Grand National success at Aintree.

1893

Cloister uses a steeplechase at Bangor as a warm up race before winning the Grand National under the mammoth weight of 12 st 7 lbs.

 

Bangor 1987.JPG (11959 bytes)

 

1921

Major Gilbert Cotton succeeds his father as Clerk of the Course. He is remembered by the Gilbert Cotton Memorial Hunters Steeplechase.

1971

The course becomes enclosed for the first time, a measure which was deemed to be necessary since a previous meeting had to be abandoned because of overgrazing by cattle.

1975

The first effort to provide cover at the meeting when 3 large wooden buildings were purchased from the Cheshire Showground, using a grant of 8000 from the Levy Board.

1985

The first Race Club members badges were issued at the course

Bangor_1991a.JPG (15967 bytes)

Bangor 1996.JPG (17056 bytes)

Bangor 2000.JPG (18621 bytes)
Bangor 2002.JPG (27609 bytes)