HEREFORD

  Badges through the decades

Brief History

1771

First records of the Herefordshire Hunt meeting taking place on 27th August at Hereford racecourse.

1793

A disappointing day in the history of the course when the horse Edwin was brought down by a disapproving crowd and caused its owner, Mr Darling, to not return to the course.

1840

First records of a hurdle race taking place at the course.

1857

The Royal Plate takes place for the only time at the course and is won by Fisherman. This was a remarkable horse who competed in 35 races during the year, and was triumphant in 22 of them.

1883

The September meeting is the last recorded Flat race meeting at Hereford.

 

 

Hereford 1988.JPG (11063 bytes)

 

1939

Racing ceases due to the Second World War.

1946

Racing resumes and a race company is formed to take over the racecourse and the organization of the race meetings from the Council.

1975

A famous day in Hereford racecourses history. There were so many runners declared that the races had to be divided into divisions and led to a 14 race programme.

2008

A new era for the club in selling joint membership with Chepstow.

Hereford official.JPG (25343 bytes)

Hereford 2002.JPG (17740 bytes)

Hereford 2003.JPG (15641 bytes)