LINGFIELD

  Badges through the decades

Brief History

1890

First recorded meeting at Lingfield on 15th November was held under National Hunt rules. However, the opening race was a Sellers Hunters Flat Race , with Old Tatt prevailing.

1920

Gordon Richards has his first public ride at Lingfield on Clock Work. The horse carried 6st 9lb but he had to wait until 1921 before recording his first winner, Gay Lord, at Leicester.

1927

Stands are completed and opened.

1932

April the Fifth wins the first Derby Trial Sweepstake in the hands of F.Lane carrying 8st 12lbs.

1933

The Oaks Trial Sweepstakes is run for the first time and results in a victory for Gordon Richards on Look Alive.

1939-45

Closed and used for the War effort as a prisoner of War camp.

1946

Major John Crocker Bulteel takes over the running of the course after the War and transforms Lingfield.

1974

An important year in Lingfields history when the owners, the Beckwith-Smith family, put the course on the market. Ladbrokes, led by its Chairman Cyril Stein, purchased the course for half a million pounds.

 

Lingfield_1895.JPG (12590 bytes)

 

1982

Ron Muddle takes ownership of the course.

1988

Leisure Investments purchase the course from Muddle for 7 million.

1989

First all weather meeting takes place on 30th October.

Lingfield_1908.JPG (22394 bytes)

Lingfield_1917.JPG (15359 bytes)

Lingfield_1996.JPG (14356 bytes)
Lingfield_2000.JPG (14196 bytes)