REDCAR

  Badges through the decades

Brief History

 

Pre 1800

Early racing at Redcar took place on the sands. This worked well until the Jockey Club decided that all races had to have a prize of at least 50. Given that Redcar could not charge spectators on the sand, the meeting became unviable.

1850

The Redcar Race Committee is formed.

1872

The present day course holds its first meeting under the Chairmanship of A.H.T.Newcomen.

1876

The Recar and Coatham Company arrange for the first grandstand to be erected at the course.

 

 

 

Redcar_1936.JPG (13616 bytes)

 

1946

Major Les;ie Petch is appointed Clerk of the Course and Redcar begins to make rapid progress.

1959

The first running of the Vaux Gold Tankard.

1964

The new grandstand, built with money provided by the Levy Board, was opened.

1984

Provideo sets a modern day record of 16 two year old wins by winning a 2-y-old race on 1st November.

1986

A Royal winner at the course when Prncess Anne rode Gulfland to a five length victory in the Mommessin Stakes.

Redcar_1959.jpg (10201 bytes)

Redcar_1963.JPG (12230 bytes)

Redcar_1997.JPG (17067 bytes)
Redcar_2001.JPG (14959 bytes)