TAUNTON

  Badges through the decades

Brief History

1802

A Flat race meeting takes place in the vicinity of Taunton on 3rd August 1802.

1811

The Taunton Cup is run on the 6th August and was won by a horse called Woodlark.

1812

Racing discontinued on this site after the meeting held this year.

1825

Meeting re-established on the course on the Shoreditch road close to, but not on, the present day site.

1927

Earliest indication of a meeting taking place under National Hunt rules. A Racecourse Company had been formed the previous year by Viscount Portman, and it was on his country estate that the racecourse developed.

 

Taunton 1952.JPG (13131 bytes)

1959

Royal Box constructed to mark the visit of the Queen Mother, but unfortunately she had to miss the meeting through illness.

1962

Queen Mother finally gets the chance to take up her position in the Royal Box.

1969

New grandstand completed and opened at a cost of just 43000.

Taunton 1965.JPG (20348 bytes)

Taunton 1978.JPG (21573 bytes)

Taunton 1987.JPG (14318 bytes)
Taunton 2000.JPG (10097 bytes)