This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing first took place at
the Lea Bridge Stadium in the Leyton area of London in 1928. The first dirt track meeting
took place on 14th July 1928 at a venue shared with Clapton Orient FC, later to become
Leyton Orient and, later still, Orient.
Unusually, betting took place at a meeting held on 26th March 1932 and was one of a number of controversies that dogged the team. Few realised that the defeat against Wembley by 31-23 on 20th July 1934 was to be the last speedway meeting to be held at the track, although other motor sports continued to take place for 5 further years.
|The team operated in Southern League and both the National League Division 1 and 2 in the period 1928 to 1934.|
|The first greyhound meeting to be held at Clapton was on 7th April 1928. By this time London already could boast of 3 other greyhound circuits. It was a very fast, circular course and was ideal for hosting the Scurry Gold Cup over the sprint distance of 400 yards, and event which was first run in 1928. Despite being a very popular track it suffered takeover bids and shut its doors for the final time on 1st January 1974.|
|The team were known as the Saints from 1932 -33 and later became the Cubs.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
|More detailed information is available
from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection