|Egerton House Stables|
|If you can provide any photos associated with this stable, or additional information to fill any gaps then contact firstname.lastname@example.org|
|If you wish to research the history of another Newmarket Stable then go to the Stable Index OR Interactive Map.|
1891-1914 3rd Earl of Ellesmere
|In 1883 the Stetchworth Estate was inherited by the 3rd Earl of Ellesmere and it was he who founded Stetchworth Park Stud. Less than 3 miles from his Stetchworth Park Stud was Egerton House, which Lord Ellesmere built in 1891. It was described as 2 storeys and attics, built with painted red brick, and timber frame decorations, red plain tile roof with patterned ridge-tiles, and was part of a development with stables and stud farm. The magnificent training establishment was leased to Richard Marsh in 1892, famous as the trainer to the Prince of Wales, who later became King George V. Although Lord Ellesmere didn't win an English Classic, he did come close, and also won some prominent races. In 1883 Lowland Chief won the Portland Handicap for him, and in the same year his colt, Highland Chief, was runner-up in the Epsom Derby behind St Blaise (SR 1969). In 1901 King's Courier 7/2 won the Jockey Club Cup for him when trained by John Dawson and ridden by Danny Maher, Lord Ellesmere died on 13th July 1914, and was succeeded by his eldest son, John Francis Granville Scrope Egerton.|
|To access an alternative, very detailed map of Newmarket stables Click Here.|
For over 4 centuries racing has been staged in Newmarket, but how have the racecourses evolved from an initial starting point at Fleam Dyke Pumping Station, some 8 miles from the town, with a winning post barely 200 metres from the town centre, into two world recognized, excellent racecourses and a universal acceptance that Newmarket is the Headquarters of racing?
To access an interactive racecourse map showing over 50 individually named racecourses CLICK HERE. The map will enable you to:-
1. Determine when extended races over 8 miles, 6 miles and 4 miles began to be replaced by the courses now visited by thousands annually;
2. Consider how the challenge of crossing the Devil's Dyke was overcome;
3. Contemplate why the town no longer has a steeplechase course despite having at least 5 courses during the past 2 centuries;
4. Examine the practicalities of having up to 48 starting posts and winning posts;
5. Appreciate that it was not financially viable to have an open racecourse spread widely across the heath, with a finishing post barely 200 metres from the town centre;
6. Research how and why the Cambridgeshire Handicap has been contested over 3 different courses.
NOTE: The map does not make mention of 2 particular courses:-
(i) Sefton Course (also known as the Cambridge Road Course)
Source: 1970 Raceform. Used from 1959 to 1975.
(ii) New Circular Course
The Circular Handicap was run on Friday 29th October 1875 on the New Circular Course of about two miles.
Source: London Standard (30th October 1875): ''the horses started near the Turn of the Lands, ran back way of the Cambridgeshire Course towards the Ditch, and afterwards proceeded down the side of the Tan Gallop, and turned into the Rowley Mile near the Bretby Stakes starting post, finishing at the stand at the end of the flat. Except in the hollow near the Cambridgeshire start the runners should have been visible all the way if the sky had been bright and clear''.
Another report hoped that the Circular Handicap would become a feature in future programmes, as it would be contested in front of the new grandstand which would be completed in about a year and would be able to accommodate thousands.
(I am grateful to Tim Cox for bringing attention to these 2 courses.)
Enjoy researching the intriguing history of Newmarket and its many racecourses.
|To enjoy the experience of a day at Newmarket races in May 1838 CLICK HERE|
1892-1924 Richard Marsh
|I am grateful to Ordnance Survey (© Crown Copyright) for permission to use the 1836 map shown above. Egerton House is 5|
|Just 3 years later he won the 1886 1000 Guineas and Epsom Oaks with the Duke of Hamilton's Miss Jummy (SR 1918). In 1892 he was approached by Lord Ellesmere to lease Egerton House Stables, transferring there in November 1892 with support from the Duke of Hamilton, the Duke of Devonshire and, more importantly, the Prince of Wales, later King George V. Marsh enjoyed outstanding success at Egerton House, particularly with the Prince of Wales's horses after the Prince had transferred his horses from John Porter, near Lambourn, to Marsh, the official excuse being that is was closer to Sandringham. In 1894 Marsh landed the Ascot Gold Cup with La Fleche, but the highlight of his training career came within the next 6 years of that success. In 1896 he trained Persimmon (SR 2078) to win the Epsom Derby, St Leger, Eclipse Stakes and Ascot Gold Cup, which even managed to attract Queen Victoria to Ascot to witness the Gold Cup victory. Four years later Marsh was successful again, this time with Diamond Jubilee (SR 2032) who captured the 1900 English Triple Crown, securing Marsh his third, and last, Trainer's Championship. In 1900 Marsh married Grace Darling, daughter of jockey and trainer Sam Darling, and sister of trainer Fred Darling. The couple had a son, Marcus, who trained Windsor Lad (SR 2100) to win the 1934 Epsom Derby, and also in 1952 Tulyar (SR 2075) to win the Epsom Derby. In 1909 Marsh won the 2000 Guineas and Derby again, this time with Minoru (SR 2016) for His Majesty King Edward VII. Richard Marsh retired in 1924 and lived in Great Shelford, near Cambridge until his death in May 1933 aged 82.
1894 Ascot Gold Cup LA FLECHE 2/5 fav owned by Maurice de Hirsch, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1894 Champion Stakes LA FLECHE 1/3 fav owned by Maurice de Hirsch, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1895 Goodwood Cup FLORIZEL II (9/100 fav), owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1895 Ascot Gold Vase FLORIZEL II 5/6 fav owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1896 1000 Guineas THAIS (SR 1909) 5/1 owned by the Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1896 Epsom Derby PERSIMMON (SR 2078) 5/1 owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1896 St Leger PERSIMMON (SR 2078) 2/11 fav owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1897 Middle Park Stakes DIEUDONNE owned by 8th Duke of Devonshire, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Otto Madden
1898 Craven Stakes JEDDAH owned by James Larnach, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Otto Madden
1898 Epsom Derby JEDDAH (SR 1980) 100/1 owned by James Larnach, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Otto Madden
1898 Prince of Wales’s Stakes JEDDAH 7/4 owned by James Larnach, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1899 Champion Stakes DIEUDONNE 7/1 owned by 8th Duke of Devonshire, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Morny Cannon
1900 2000 Guineas DIAMOND JUBILEE (SR 2032) 11/4 owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Herbert Jones
1900 Epsom Derby DIAMOND JUBILEE (SR 2032) 6/4 fav owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Herbert Jones
1900 St Leger DIAMOND JUBILEE (SR 2032) 2/7 fav owned by HRH Prince of Wales, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Herbert Jones
1901 Goodwood Cup FORTUNATUS 4/6 fav owned by Arthur James, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Danny Maher
1901 Champion Stakes OSBOCH owned by 4th Baron Wolverton, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Danny Maher
1902 Goodwood Cup PERSEUS Evens fav owned by Arthur James, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Joe Childs
1903 Goodwood Cup RABELAIS 5/4 fav owned by Arthur James, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by John Watts
1909 2000 Guineas MINORU (SR 2016) 4/1 owned by HM King Edward VII, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Herbert Jones
1909 Epsom Derby MINORU (SR 2016) 7/2 owned by HM King Edward VII, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Herbert Jones
1914 Middle Park Stakes FRIAR MARCUS owned by King George V, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Herbert Jones
1923 Royal Hunt Cup WEATHERVANE 20/1 owned by HM The King, trained by Richard Marsh and ridden by Staff Ingham
|1924-November 1943 William Jarvis, Lord Harewood
William Jarvis, born in 1885, son-in-law of trainer James Ryan, was in charge of Green Lodge stables some years before James officially retired in 1910, but he then moved to Waterwitch House to continue his training career. When the First World War broke out William undertook his army service, but he then returned to training at Hackness Villa Stables in 1921, leasing them from Martin Gurry. In November 1923 he was recommended by George Lambton to train for the King George V at Egerton House, taking out a lease from Lord Harewood and moving there in readiness for the start of the 1924 season, replacing Richard Marsh. In 1925, the estate was sold to Henry Lascelles, the 6th Earl of Harewood, who was married to Princess Mary, daughter of King George V. In the first few years when William Jarvis took over at Egerton House Stables he trained exclusively for Lord Harewood and King George V, where in 1928 he recorded a Royal success in the 1000 Guineas when Scuttle (SR 1935) was victorious. In all William trained three Classic winners and married Isabel, the daughter of jockey Joseph Butters.
The pre-World War II cigarette card below, issued by E & W Anstie, shows the 'lads quarters' at Egerton House
Their son Ryan was named in memory of the son of Rosa and Jimmy Ryan who had died aged just 19 in the typhoid epidemic which swept Newmarket in 1895. They also had a daughter Bridget, who married jockey Bill Rickaby. One of William's biggest successes whilst at Egerton House was during the War years when Godiva (SR 2047) won the New 1000 Guineas and New Oaks in 1940. William was supported in his later years by son Ryan, prior to Ryan training on his own account at Malborough House from 1937 until he was called up into the Grenadier Guards during the Second World War. Although Ryan probably had ambitions to train at Egerton, they were thwarted twice, firstly the 6th Earl of Harewood sold Egerton House Stud to Lady Catherine Macdonald-Buchanan in 1942, and secondly William Jarvis died in 1943, although Isabel continued to live at Egerton House until after the War had ended in 1945.
|I am grateful to Ordnance Survey (© Crown Copyright) for permission to use the 1888-1913 map shown above.|
1947-1964 Lady Catherine Macdonald Buchanan, Marcus Marsh (until November 1949)
1964-1987 Lady Catherine Macdonald Buchanan
August 2003-2005 David Loder
April 2006-present David Elsworth
|Top 5 Egerton House horses of all time
PERSIMMON (1896 Epsom Derby, St Leger)
GODIVA (1940 New 1000 Guineas, New Oaks)
DIAMOND JUBILEE (1900 Triple Crown)
MINORU (1909 Epsom Derby, 2000 Guineas)
JEDDAH (1898 Epsom Derby, Prince of Wales's Stakes, Craven Stakes)
|© John Slusar 2020|
774 former courses
400 former courses
140 former courses
235 former courses
|Copies of the above books are only available by emailing email@example.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.|