This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place across at
least 7 venues in the Exeter area since 1929. The main venue has been the County Ground
Stadium, where racing first took place on 9th March 1929 on a cinder circuit with a crowd
in excess of 11000 witnessing Ron Johnson win the Golden Helmet.
By 1961 they were in the Provincial League, and were founder members of the British League in 1965.
The year of 1997 proved to be an important year, with some teams moving to form an Elite League, but Exeter remained in the Premier League.
|They won the Knockout Cup in both 1962 and 1983; were League Champions in 1948, 1974 and 2000, and won the Premier Trophy in 2004.|
|The club began as Open racers and joined the Southern League in 1952. They were in the British League Division 2 from 1954-55 and again 1991-94. They were members of the Premier League throughout the period 1998 to 2005.|
|Throughout their history the team have been known as the Peacocks, the Falcons and the Devon Demons.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.