Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Saturday 20th May 1882
Final meeting: Saturday 18th May 1883
The Northumbrian village of Forest Burn Gate, situated some 3 miles South of Rothbury, held its own races on Saturday 20th May 1882. The meeting consisted of a series of Flat and Hurdle races, with the last race, the Forest Burn Gate 6 furlong Open won by Fire King owned by Mr A Dunn. Although meetings of less significance were held in the village before this date, a final race meeting was staged on Saturday 18th May 1883.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 1 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Mr John Gibson, Mr A Dunn
Principal Races Forest Burn Gate 1 ½ mile Open, Forest Burn Gate 6 furlong Open

Saturday 20th May 1882

Forestburn Gate Open over a mile and a half
1. Medcy owned by Mr John Gibson
2. Lady Redesdale owned by Mr James Dixon
3. Fenrother Maid owned by Mr R E Simpson
4. Kate owned by Mr W Hay
5. Annie owned by Mr W Hay
6. Miss Tib owned by Mr M Tighe
7. Gay Lass owned by Mr Thompson
8. Village Green owned by Mr Robson

Forestburn Gate 6 furlong Open
1. Fire King owned by Mr A Dunn
2. Master Williams owned by Mr William Potts
3. Young Jennie owned by Mr O Potts

The final meeting took place on Saturday 18th May 1883.
Course today

The area is now more famous for its regular, demanding Fell races.

If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to