This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway first took place at
Harringay Greyhound Stadium on Greens Lane in 1928. The initial meeting was held on 29th
May and proved to be successful for Frank Arthur. Harringay became members of the Southern
League in 1929 and joined the National League in 1934. Periods in the National League
Division One followed at various times from 1938 to 1954.
With crowd size falling the venue proved not to be viable, although there were two Cavalcades of Speed held in 1958 and 1959.
|They were National Trophy winners in 1952 and enjoyed success in the Coronation Cup in the Coronation year of 1953.|
|Greyhound racing first took place at the North London Harringay track on 13th September 1927 and was only the second track to be launched in London. At one time in the late 1970's the track was so popular that its meetings were televised on a Saturday afternoon with such prestigious races as the Ladbrokes Golden Jacket Stakes over 600 metres, the Oaks and the Pall Mall Stakes which was won on the first occasion in 1935 by Shove Ha'penny. The track finally closed on 25th September 1987.|
|Throughout their history they have been known as the Canaries, the Tigers and the Racers.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection