|Hurworth House/Meynell House Stables
|If you can provide any photos associated with this stable, or additional information to fill any gaps then contact email@example.com
|If you wish to research the history of another Newmarket Stable then go to the Stable Index OR Interactive Map.
|November 1860-1880 Peter Price
Peter Price, born at Burrough Green in March 1817, was by 1841 training Mr Connop's horses at the Hippodrome in Bayswater, In spring 1842 Connop's 14 horses arrived at Newmarket where Price then trained them and a couple of Captain Meynell's horses, leasing Phantom Cottage for the next few years, right up to the time of Meynell's death in 1854. He then joined forces with William Goodwin, although during those years Goodwin was the recognised trainer. In February 1860 he bought Phantom House at auction and began training in his own right, but he sold it in November 1860 to Count de Lagrange and Baron Niviere, moving to a house and 40 boxes he had built close to Phantom House which he named Meynell House in honour of his old friend. He remained there for several years before moving to another property he built in 1888 which he named Somerville Lodge.
1881-1905 Jimmy Waugh
James Waugh, born in Jedburgh, Scotland on 13th December 1831, began training in the 1850s at Stamford Hall, Gullane until persuaded by Mr Wybrow Robinson, an Australian, to move to England. James began training for Robinson at Russley Park, Lambourn, Berkshire, followed by a short period in Wiltshire. In 1870 James, and his wife Isabella, moved with their large family to Naklo, Poland, training for Count Hugo Graf Henckel von Donnersmarck. Just 2 years later, in 1872 he moved with the Count to Karlburg, Hungary where the Count had bought Castle Karlburg from the Zichy family, and James spent the next 8 years training in Eastern Europe, winning prestigious events like the 1878 Deutsches Derby in Hamburg with Oroszvar for Hugo Henckel senior when ridden by Tom Busby, and the 1881 Grosser Preis Von Baden at Baden Baden with La Gondola owned by T Festetics and ridden by Peasnall. In 1881 James and his family returned to England, initially living in Middleton Cottage before transferring a short distance to train at Meynell House, later called Hurworth House. He had made such a success during his prolonged training session abroad that many of his prominent foreign owners had horses with him in Newmarket. The extensive list included Baron Oppenheim, Baron N de Rothschild, Count Lehndorff and Chevalier Scheibler. Shortly after taking over at Meynell House his stable received a boost when gambler and owner Jack Hammond transferred his horses from Exeter House Stables to Meynell. Jack owned St Gatien who dead-heated with Harvester in the 1884 Epsom Derby when trained by Bob Sherwood, but Sherwood and Hammond fell out, which led to the transfer of horses. Jimmy Waugh was a highly successful trainer, winning the 1896 Chester Cup with The Rush and the 1899 Royal Hunt Cup with Refractor. He died in 1905 and his son, Tom, took over, with Sir Robert Jardine as his principal owner.
1886 Rous Memorial Stakes ST GATIEN owned by Jack Hammond, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Charles Wood
1889 Cambridgeshire LAUREATE II owned by John Hammond and trained by James Waugh
1896 Chester Cup THE RUSH 8/1 owned by Mr Dobell, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
|To access an alternative, very detailed map of Newmarket stables Click Here.
For over 4 centuries racing has been staged in Newmarket, but how have the racecourses evolved from an initial starting point at Fleam Dyke Pumping Station, some 8 miles from the town, with a winning post barely 200 metres from the town centre, into two world recognized, excellent racecourses and a universal acceptance that Newmarket is the Headquarters of racing?
To access an interactive racecourse map showing over 50 individually named racecourses CLICK HERE. The map will enable you to:-
1. Determine when extended races over 8 miles, 6 miles and 4 miles began to be replaced by the courses now visited by thousands annually;
2. Consider how the challenge of crossing the Devil's Dyke was overcome;
3. Contemplate why the town no longer has a steeplechase course despite having at least 5 courses during the past 2 centuries;
4. Examine the practicalities of having up to 48 starting posts and winning posts;
5. Appreciate that it was not financially viable to have an open racecourse spread widely across the heath, with a finishing post barely 200 metres from the town centre;
6. Research how and why the Cambridgeshire Handicap has been contested over 3 different courses.
NOTE: The map does not make mention of 2 particular courses:-
(i) Sefton Course (also known as the Cambridge Road Course)
Source: 1970 Raceform. Used from 1959 to 1975.
(ii) New Circular Course
The Circular Handicap was run on Friday 29th October 1875 on the New Circular Course of about two miles.
Source: London Standard (30th October 1875): ''the horses started near the Turn of the Lands, ran back way of the Cambridgeshire Course towards the Ditch, and afterwards proceeded down the side of the Tan Gallop, and turned into the Rowley Mile near the Bretby Stakes starting post, finishing at the stand at the end of the flat. Except in the hollow near the Cambridgeshire start the runners should have been visible all the way if the sky had been bright and clear''.
Another report hoped that the Circular Handicap would become a feature in future programmes, as it would be contested in front of the new grandstand which would be completed in about a year and would be able to accommodate thousands.
(I am grateful to Tim Cox for bringing attention to these 2 courses.)
Enjoy researching the intriguing history of Newmarket and its many racecourses.
|To enjoy the experience of a day at Newmarket races in May 1838 CLICK HERE
1897 Manchester Cup PIETY 6/1 owned by Mr G M Inglis, trained by James Waugh and ridden by S Chandley
1998 Alexandra Plate at Ascot PIETY 9/4 fav owned by Mr M G Inglis, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
1899 May Plate at Chester STAGE VILLAIN 2/1 owned by Mr Russel, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
1899 Craven Stakes at York STAGE VILLAIN 7/4 fav owned by Mr Russel, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
1899 Richmond Plate at Kempton STAGE VILLAIN 7/1 owned by Mr Russel, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
1899 Royal Hunt Cup REFRACTOR 25/1 owned by Mr D J Jardine, trained by James Waugh and ridden by Mr A E Wetherell
|I am grateful to Ordnance Survey (© Crown Copyright) for permission to use the 1836 map shown above. Hurworth House Stables is 3
1905-1931 Tom Waugh
When his father Jimmy Waugh died in 1905 Tom Waugh took charge at Meynell, supported by principal owner Sir Robert Jardine. In July 1906 the Sporting Life listed all of the Newmarket Stables together with their respective trainers; Tom Waugh was listed at Meynell House. Later that year, on Tuesday 11th December 1906, Robert Thomas Waugh married Eleanor Alfreda Hayhoe at St Mary's Church, Newmarket. Eleanor was the daughter of Alfred Hayhoe, for many years the trainer for Leopold de Rothschild. Tom's nephew, Alec Waugh, also began working in racing stables in Germany prior to the outbreak of the First World War. However, he was caught on the wrong side of the English Channel during the War and suffered internment, but once the War ended Alec returned to Newmarket to assist his Uncle Tom at Meynell. Alec then successfully applied to train on his own account, training a few National Hunt winners at Osborne House Stables, opposite the more famous Heath House Stables. In 1920 Tom rewarded his principal owned Jardine with success in the 1000 Guineas with Cinna (SR 1958), going on to also win the Coronation Stakes later in the year. In June 1931 Tom Waugh moved on to another stable.
1906 Brocklesby Stakes LUISIS 20/1 owned by Mr G M Inglis, trained by Tom Waugh and ridden by Bernard Dillon
1906 Rous Memorial Stakes at Goodwood BELLAVISTA owned by Mr Russel, trained by Tom Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
1906 Michaelmas Two-Year-Old Stakes BELLAVISTA 5/4 fav owned by Mr Russel, trained by Tom Waugh and ridden by Otto Madden
1920 1000 Guineas CINNA 4/1 (SR 1958) owned by Sir Robert Jardine, trained by Tom Waugh and ridden by William Griggs
1920 Coronation Stakes CINNA 2/1 owned by Sir Robert Jardine, trained by Tom Waugh and ridden by William Griggs
June 1935-September 1939 Percy Allden
Percy Allden, born at Twickenham on 16th February 1900, was the second son of the prominent Tattersalls bookmaker and racehorse owner William Allden, and began his racing career in Mr Thomas Schofield's stable before moving on to Fred Pratt in Lambourn. He rode his first winner, Medley (10/1) for his father William in the Apprentices Plate at Newbury in June 1913, later winning the 1914 Ascot Stakes on Broadwood (25/1) for Mr J A de Rothschild. Also, in 1914, he won the Bibury Cup at Salisbury aboard Florentino (5/1) for owner Washington Singer. Percy's favourite horse was Gondolier, owned by his father, who won 32 races, 25 of which were ridden by Percy. During the War Percy flew in the RFC in France, and the RAF, but also served in the British Red Cross. He had to end his Flat racing career, and launch his National Hunt career, on 27th November 1919 but soon thought the time was right to prepare himself to train. He trained for a prolonged period at Epsom in the 1920s, beginning in January 1921, then moving to Eastbury House and on to Childrey House, before taking up the post of private trainer on a 2-year contract to Mr Ralph B Strassburger at Chantilly in 1927, returning to Epsom to train at Gondola House between 1931 and 1935, initially with just 9 horses. During all of these upheavals he married Edna Mellon at St Martin's in the Field in 1928, the couple being blessed with 2 children. His father, William 'Billy' Allden was tragically killed by a lorry on Hampton High Street on Thursday 6th February 1930, aged 65, on his way to Gatwick races. Billy was a fearless bookie who once laid £100 to a cigar in a race at Epsom to a punter waving a particularly long cigar, following up with £100 to a match to light the cigar. Billy lit up the cigar to enjoy it while the race was run, but when the horse won Billy duly paid out £200, although the two punters demanded the return of their cigar and match as stakes. Percy returned to Epsom a few years later, but on Saturday 29th June 1935 he moved from Epsom to Newmarket to take over at Meynell House. In 1937 he recorded a Royal Ascot success in the Royal Hunt Cup with Fairplay (18/1) for owner Mr Middlemas. At the outbreak of the Second World War Percy was gazetted as an RAF Volunteer Reservist, having served in the First World War for which he was awarded the Military Cross, leaving his brother George to take over training duties at Meynell. In August 1945 he was released from the Services and granted a licence to return to training, leasing Carlburg from Charlie Waugh, later using it as a second yard. Percy had a habit of renaming each of his stables Gondola, including his final pair of stables, Beech Hurst and Upend. He sold Beech Hurst to Tim Hollowell in March 1970. He died on 1st March 1978 aged 78.
1936 Arthur Loraine Memorial Handicap at Sandown HOLYROOD 100/7 owned by Mrs C Evans, trained by Percy Allden and ridden by Freddie Fox
1936 Robert De Witville Handicap Stakes at Sandown WEST HIGHLAND 9/2 owned by Mr Middlemas, trained by Percy Allden and ridden by Gordon Richards
1937 Royal Hunt Cup FAIRPLAY 18/1 owned by Mr Middlemas, trained by Percy Allden and ridden by P Maher
September 1939-1945 George Allden
George Allden, first born son of bookmaker William and brother of jockey and trainer Percy, was born in 1897 and began training under Pony Turf Club rules at Northolt Park in 1935, moving on to train at Epsom in 1936, before transferring to Exning, Newmarket in 1937. For health reasons he did not take out a licence in 1939, but was allowed to renew it to enable him to take charge at Meynell House Stables once his brother, Percy, signed up as an RAF Volunteer Reservist. George remained at Meynell House, caring for the stable in his brother's absence, but he then moved on to train at Beechwood Stables. Unfortunately, in 1949 he lost his licence because a minute (1/1000th gram) of dope was found in one of his horses, Luxuriant, after she had won the Upton Selling Handicap at Pontefract on 28th September 1949. Despite an appeal, the support of all of his owners and many of his training colleagues, and an investigation by private detectives paid for by Allden, his appeal was rejected and he was banned from training.
1946-1950 George Colling
George Scott Colling, son of racehorse trainer Bob Colling, was born at Habton, near Malton in Yorkshire and brought up surrounded by horses. His father was Master of Hounds, while his mother was the daughter of Robert L'Anson who had ridden Wild Monarch to win the 1879 Grand Steeplechase de Paris, and had contested 10 Grand Nationals, finishing second in 1872 when aboard Scarrington behind the Edward Brayley owned Casse Tete. George was apprentice to his father, along with his brother Jack, and in 1919 he rode 72 winners, but once weight became an issue in 1922 he decided to embark on a training career. He began to learn his trade whist assisting brother Jack, who was based in Newmarket, and by 1935 was ready to apply for his licence. He trained at Meynell House, but during the Second World War he was in the Royal Artillery, although after the War ended he resumed his training career at Meynell House where he famously guided Nimbus (SR 2012), bred by William Hill, to Classic victories in the 1949 2000 Guineas and Epsom Derby. George was a proud Yorkshireman who never forgot his roots, particularly remembering his happy days hunting with the Hurworth Hunt, and he renamed Meynell House Hurworth House. In 1950 he was enticed to Stanley House Stables by Lord Derby, taking over from Walter Earl. During his spell at Stanley House he was assisted between 1950 and 1952 by Humphrey Cottrill, although in June 1952 Cottrill moved across to La Grange as trainer to Major Lionel Holliday. The most successful horse George Colling was associated with during this period of his life was Wilwyn who won the 1952 Rous Memorial Stakes and Great Yorkshire Stakes before being sent to USA, along with George's assistant Jack Waugh, to land the inaugural running of the Washington DC International Stakes. Wilwyn returned to England for the 1953 season, winning the Queen Anne's Plate, Limekiln Stakes and John Porter Stakes. George returned to Hurworth House at the end of the 1955 season.
1948 July Stakes NIMBUS 3/1 fav owned by Marion Glenister, trained by George Colling and ridden by Charlie Elliott
1949 2000 Guineas NIMBUS (SR 2012) 10/1 owned by Marion Glenister, trained by George Colling and ridden by Charlie Elliott
1949 Epsom Derby NIMBUS (SR 2012) 7/1 owned by Marion Glenister, trained by George Colling and ridden by Charlie Elliott
|1950 Claude Halsey
In 1912, prior to the outbreak of the First World War, Claude Halsey was training at Sackville House. He was the son of the successful jockey and trainer William (Bill) Halsey, and was born in 1889, riding his first winner in 1904. Claude's training career was interrupted by the outbreak of the First World War, but he resumed training after the War, enjoying his most successful period as a trainer between 1920 and 1940 at Chantilly, France where his chief patron was Monsieur Alexandre Aumont. In November 1913 he married Doris Watts, daughter of the late trainer Jack Watts, at St Mary's Church, Newmarket, and was given away by her brother, the trainer J E Watts, although they later had an acrimonious divorce. After the Second World War ended he moved to Saville House, Newmarket between 1945 and 1946, before transferring a year later to Somerville Lodge where his son Alan acted as his assistant trainer, remaining at Somerville until his death in 1955. In 1950 he leased Hurworth House for a year as an overflow yard.
1951-1955 Kathleen Mary Colling
Despite George Colling taking over at Stanley House at the start of the 1951 season, Kathleen Colling maintained her residential postal address at Hurworth House for the 5 years George trained at Stanley House, and he was then free to continue training at Hurworth House at the start of the 1956 season.
1956-April 1959 George Colling
After a spell of 5 years away from Hurworth House, training instead at Stanley House Stables, George returned to Hurworth House in 1956. Although he was troubled by ill health, which was a constant worry for him, he continued to train, assisted by John Oxley, but George Colling died on Saturday 18th April 1959.
April 1959-1975 John Oxley
After the death of George Colling, his loyal assistant John Oxley took charge at Hurworth House, ably supported by his travelling head lad Barry Hills. The stable was initially purchased by Lady Halifax, Sir Randle Fielden, Archie Kitson and Dick Hollingsworth, and they installed John Oxley as trainer on the understanding that he could buy them out once he had sufficient funds to do so. This he evetaully was able to do, and in 1963 John appointed Greville Starkey as his retained jockey, gaining his only English Classic success in 1964 when Homeward Bound (SR 1926) won the Epsom Oaks, having already won the Princess Elizabeth Stakes, later going on to win the Yorkshire Oaks. John was an old-fashioned, authoritarian trainer who taught future trainer Barry Hills a great deal, and helped him make his fortune. The pair landed a gamble when Frankincense won the 1968 Lincoln Handicap at 100/8 for Lady Halifax. A year later John captured the Princess Elizabeth Stakes, for the second time, with Raft owned by Mr R D Hollinsworth and ridden by Greville Starkey. When Greville Starkey moved on to pastures new, John appointed Seb Sanders as stable jockey in 1970. An unsavoury situation occurred at the stables in early January 1975 when John made 3 stablehands redundant. This led to 200 stable lads threatening to go on strike, after which John reinstated the 3 lads and gave them stable duties. The problem escalated when John refused the 3 lads permission to ride out, causing 800 stable staff to threaten renewed strike action. By the end of the 1975 season managing the finances of a racing stable became too challenging and John decided to retire.
1963 Askham Stakes at York ROI CANUTE 7/4 fav trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1964 Wilkinson Memorial Stakes at York WIND SONG 7/2 fav owned by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1964 Princess Elizabeth Stakes HOMEWARD BOUND owned by Sir Foster Robinson, trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1964 Epsom Oaks HOMEWARD BOUND (SR 1926) 100/7 owned by Sir Foster Robinson, trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1964 Yorkshire Oaks HOMEWARD BOUND 2/1 owned by Sir Foster Robinson, trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1966 Great Voltigeur HERMES owned by Mr R D Hollingsworth, trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1968 Lincoln Handicap FRANKINCENSE 100/8 owned by Lady Halifax, trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1969 Princess Elizabeth Stakes RAFT owned by Mr R D Hollingsworth, trained by John Oxley and ridden by Greville Starkey
1976-1977 Mick Ryan
When John Oxley saw that the financial conditions were not right to continue training, he retired. In 1976 Mick Ryan spent his first year as a trainer at Hurworth House before it was sold to Harry Thompson Jones.
1977-1996 Harry Thompson Jones
Harry Thomson Jones, son of Victor Jones an army officer in India, was universally known as 'Tom Jones', and was born at Amesbury, Wiltshire on 28th April 1925 and educated at Eton College. He became assistant to Bob Fetherstonhaugh at The Curragh in 1947, later joing Sam Armstrong in Newmarket in 1949. He married Solna Marianne Anita Joel, daughter of the wealthy racehorse owner Stanhope Joel, on Tuesday 14th March 1950 and they had 3 children before divorcing. He became a licensed trainer in 1951, taking over at The Woodlands and Green Lodge, developing into a highly successful dual code trainer. His first winner was Coquet Light at Kempton in May 1952. He trained the legendary Tingle Creek to win 23 of his 52 races, 11 of which were at his beloved Sandown Park, and he later had a race named after him. He also won the 1965 and 1967 Gloucestershire Hurdle with Red Tears and Chorus respectively, and guided Frenchman's Cove to victory in the 1962 Whitbread Gold Cup and 1964 King George VI Chase. In the early 1970s Harry focussed more on training for the flat, enjoying spectacular success. He won the 1971 St Leger with Athens Wood (SR 1975) for Mrs Eileen Rogerson, daughter of racehorse owner Solly Joel, and by 1977 the opportunity arose for him to take over neighbouring Hurworth House Stables as an overflow yard to his growing enterprise. He repeated his St Leger success with Touching Wood (SR 1966) for Maktoum Al Maktoum in 1982, the horse following up in the Irish St Leger. On the back of that success for the Maktoum family, Hamdan Al Maktoum became his principal owner and was rewarded with numerous successes with his filly Al Bahathri who won the Lowther Stakes as a 2-year-old, and went on to win the 1985 Irish 1000 Guineas before cementing her superiority in the Coronation Stakes. Harry trained his final winner over jumps at Worcester on 12th October 1996 when Agdistis was successful. He retired at the end of the 1996 season and died on 5th December 2007.
1977 Long Walk Hurdle JOHN CHERRY owned by Milton Ritzenberg, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Steve Smith Eccles
1977 Queen Alexandra Stakes JOHN CHERRY owned by Milton Ritzenberg, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Lester Piggott
1977 Prix Gladiateur JOHN CHERRY owned by Milton Ritzenberg, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Lester Piggott
1978 Sun Alliance Chase SWEET JOE owned by Milton Ritzenberg, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Steve Smith Eccles
1978 Princess Margaret Stakes DEVON DITTY owned by Sir Edwin McAlpine, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Greville Starkey
1978 Lowther Stakes DEVON DITTY owned by Sir Edwin McAlpine, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Greville Starkey
1978 Cherry Hinton Stakes DEVON DITTY 15/8 fav owned by Sir Edwin McAlpine, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Greville Starkey
1978 Princess of Wales's Stakes POLLERTON owned by Mrs R Vereker, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Lester Piggott
1978 Flying Childers Stakes DEVON DITTY 2/1 owned by Sir Edwin McAlpine, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Greville Starkey
1978 Cheveley Park Stakes DEVON DITTY 11/8 owned by Sir Edwin McAlpine, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Greville Starkey
1979 Long Walk Hurdle JOHN CHERRY owned by Milton Ritzenberg, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Steve Smith Eccles
1979 Queen Alexandra Stakes JOHN CHERRY owned by Milton Ritzenberg, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Greville Starkey
1982 Welsh Derby TOUCHING WOOD 4/11 fav owned by Maktoum Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Paul Cook
1982 St Leger TOUCHING WOOD (SR 1966) 7/1 owned by Maktoum Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Paul Cook
1982 Irish St Leger TOUCHING WOOD (SR 1966) 5/4 fav owned by Maktoum Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Paul Cook
1983 Diomed Stakes LOFTY trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Paul Cook
1984 Lowther Stakes AL BAHATHRI owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1984 Gimcrack Stakes DOULAB owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1984 Cornwallis Stakes DOULAB 11/4 fav owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1984 Princess Margaret Stakes AL BAHATHRI 5/1 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1984 Grand Prix de Paris AT TALAQ owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1985 Irish 1000 Guineas AL BAHATHRI (SR 1908) 7/1 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1985 Coronation Stakes AL BAHATHRI owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1985 Yorkshire Cup ILIUM 5/1 owned by Hadi-Al-Tajir, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Richard Hills
1985 Diadem Stakes AL SYLAH 9/1 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1985 Child Stakes (Falmouth Stakes) AL BAHATHRI owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Tony Murray
1988 Princess Margaret Stakes MUHBUBH 6/1 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Richard Hills
1988 John Porter Stakes ALWASMI 25/1 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Richard Hills
1988 Northumberland Plate STAVORDALE 9/4 fav owned by Mrs Harry Thomson Jones, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Michael Roberts
1990 Ascot Gold Cup ASHAL 14/1 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Richard Hills
1992 Diomed Stakes ZAAHI 100/30 owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum, trained by Harry Thomson Jones and ridden by Richard Hills
1998 Robert Williams
Robert J Williams assisted Barry Hills for 6 years from 1976 until 1982 before launching his own training career in 1983. However, he had spent time with Barry Hills in his youth and fondly remembered the 1970 Chester Cup when the stable star Hickleton, ridden by Ernie Johnson, was made 3/1 fav to land the prize, only to be beaten a head by Altogether. Whilst the connections of Hickleton might have been disappointed, Robert was not, because the placed horses received a huge Cheshire cheese as a consolation prize and Robert has enjoyed the cheese ever since. Robert began training at Marriott Stables, Newmarket in January 1983, winning the 1986 Middle Park Stakes with Mister Majestic, owned by David Johnson and ridden by Ray Cochrane, and the next year landing the Listed Leisure Stakes at Lingfield with the same horse. However, the highlight of his training career came in 1994 when he won his beloved Chester Cup with Doyce 14/1 ridden by Gary Bardwell. It is unclear whether the winner also receives a Cheshire cheese as well as the placed horses. In 1998 Robert moved from Marriott Stables, and it is thought he took over Hurworth House Stables when Harry Thomson Jones sold it separately from Woodlands/ Green Lodge Stables.
2015 William Haggas
William Haggas, trainer at nearby Somerville Lodge, used Hurworth House Stables as an overflow yard.
|Top 5 Hurworth House/Meynell House horses of all time
NIMBUS (1949 2000 Guineas, Epsom Derby)
ST GATIEN (1886 Rous Memorial Stakes)
TOUCHING WOOD (1982 St Leger, Irish St Leger, Welsh Derby)
CINNA (1920 1000 Guineas, Coronation Stakes)
HOMEWARD BOUND (1964 Epsom Oaks, Yorkshire Oaks, Princess Elizabeth Stakes)
|© John Slusar 2020