Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

The New York State neighbourhood of Jamaica is in the borough of Queens and was first settled in in 1656. It later became the county seat of Queens County before it was recognised on 7th March 1788. It had its own 1 mile oval racecourse, Jamaica Racetrack, which was administered by the Metropolitan Jockey Club and held its inaugural meeting on 27 April 1903. Its principal race was the Excelsior Handicap, although other feature races included the Wood Memorial Stakes, named after a founder Eugene Wood, the Prioress Stakes, the Jamaica Handicap and the Frizette Stakes. A pivotal year in its history was 1955 when the management of the track was taken over by the Greater New York Racing Association, but it was to last less than 4 more years, closing 1st August 1959. The outbuildings were demolished in 1960 and the site sold for housing development.

Local Patrons Metropolitan Jockey Club, Greater New York Racing Association
Principal Races Wood Memorial Stakes, Prioress Stakes, Jamaica Handicap, Frizette Stakes

The photo below shows The Nancy Lee being won by Allie's Pal on 4th October 1948. It was owned by S D Sidell, ridden by Ovie Scurlock and trained by Ben Stutts.

Native Dancer, the great stallion, was successful at the track on 19th April 1952. Its demise came in 1959 and it was sold to property developers and today is covered by Rochdale Village housing and shopping complex.
Course today The racecourse closed on 1st August 1959
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com