Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

The Nevada gambling capital of the world, Las Vegas, once had its own racecourse on the south side of the city which held its inaugural meeting on 4th September 1953, with racing administered by the Las Vegas Jockey Club. A project was launched in 1946 by Hank Greenspun, a lawyer, and Joseph Smoot, a self-appointed racetrack designer who actually had little knowledge or experience of such matters. However, Smoot did manage to amass a 2 million dollar budget from 8000 shareholders and set about building the racetrack. The project was beset with problems during construction, not least because Smoots accounting methods were unconventional, and it was left to a judge to oversee the final stages of the venture. It was beset with even more problems once the track was opened. A crowd of 8000 attended the inaugural meeting; yet problems abounded, not least with the inoperative betting booths. After just 13 days of thoroughbred racing during 1953 the management closed the track. It reopened in 1954, offering a programme of quarter horse racing, but only operated for 7 weeks before closing for good.  The track later opened as a successful speedway track before closing once again. In due course the land was sold and the site of the former racecourse is covered by the Las Vegas Convention Centre, the Las Vegas Country Club and the prestigious Las Vegas Hilton.

Local Patrons Las Vegas Jockey Club
Course today The racecourse closed in 1954.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to