Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Friday 30th March 1838
Final meeting: Saturday 31st March 1838
The Northamptonshire village of Little Houghton is located just 2 miles east of Northampton and was the scene of a fiercely competitive steeplechase in the early 1800s as recorded in the ‘History of Northamptonshire’. The two day meeting began on Friday 30th March 1838 with the Little Houghton Steeplechase in which True Blue, owned by Mr Stevenson, beat Gladiator and Lord Southampton’s The Count. The widely advertised Northampton Grand Steeplechase was won by Vivian owned by Captain Lamb. On the following day a second Steeplechase was won by Captain Childe’s Conrad, getting the better of Jerry and the Captain Becher ridden Spicey.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 1 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Lord Southampton, Captain Lamb
Principal Races Little Houghton Steeplechase, Northamptonshire Grand Steeplechase
30th March 1838

Little Houghton Steeplechase of 5 sovereigns with 40 sovereigns added
1. True Blue owned by Mr Stevenson
2. Gladiator owned by Mr Lebird
3. The Count owned by Lord Southampton
The Rake also ran but fell

The Northamptonshire Grand Steeplechase
1. Vivian owned by Captain Lamb
2. Laura owned by Mr Lambden
3. Vespasian owned by Mr Lambden

31st March 1838

Little Houghton Steeplechase
1. Conrad owned by Captain Childe
2. Jerry owned by Mr Anderson
3. Spicey owned by Mr Fairlie
4. Yellow Dwarf owned and ridden by Lord Waterford
The third horse, Spicey, was ridden by the famous Captain Becher.

The final meeting took place on Saturday 31st March 1838.
Course today Over 4 miles of good hunting ground on the edge of Little Houghton.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to