Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Saturday 20th July 1822
Final meeting: Saturday 31st July 1869
The Mid Lothian Yeomanry held their annual races at Musselburgh racecourse near Edinburgh for over 55 years, with an inaugural meeting on Saturday 20th July 1822. The card started off with the Edinburgh Troop Cup over 2 miles in which a Hambletonian gelding owned by Mr F Grant beat Wellington and Rodney. The feature race was the Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cup which was won by Mr Home’s Bess. Meetings continued at the same venue on an annual basis and were called the Royal Mid Lothians for about 10 years in the 1830s. A mammoth 9 race card was staged on Saturday 29th July 1843, opening with the Barnton Squadron Cup with each horse carrying a massive 13 st. It was won by Mr John Laing’s Haiden beating Black Diamond and Never Mind Him. The later Musselburgh Cup was won by Charlie for Mr Brown. The meetings were always well supported, but came to an end under rules on Saturday 31st July 1869, although racing did continue after this date outside of rules.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 3 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Mr Anderson, Mr Brodie, Mr Syme
Principal Races Dalkeith Squadron Cup, Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cup, Barnton Squadron Cup

Saturday 29th July 1843
Dalkeith Squadron Cup
1. Maid of Mill, bay mare owned by Mr Anderson
2. Margaret, chestnut mare owned by Mr Brodie
3. Marquis, grey gelding owned by Mr W Craig

The final meeting took place on Saturday 31st July 1869.
Course today On Musselburgh racecourse in Edinburgh.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com