Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Saturday 1st December 1860
Final meeting: Saturday 25th January 1862
The London suburb of Mill Hill is in the Borough of Barnet just 9 miles north west of Charing Cross. Originally it was Mill Hill Village in Middlesex and was known as Myllehill in 1547, which means ‘hill with a windmill’. The earliest record of a race meeting being organised by the Honourable Royal Artillery was on Saturday 1st December 1860 on Mill Hill. The steward at the meeting was Colonel Lord F Paulet and the feature race was for the Silver Tankard.  The mill was built in Mill Hill Field, on an open park area close to the racecourse used for the meeting on Saturday 25th January 1862. The course started half a mile from town on Mr Alexander’s farm and the meeting opened with the Farmer’s Steeplechase for a silver tea service which was won by Mr C Mantle’s Gay Lad. The Hurdle race which followed was for a Silver Tankard and was claimed by Mr C Jay with Inder, while the feature race went to Mr Tom Jay’s Liberator.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 2 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Royal Artillery, Colonel Lord F Paulet, Lieut. Colonel Lord Colville
Principal Races Royal Artillery Silver Tankard, Hon. Artillery Company Steeplechase

Saturday 25th January 1862
Hon. Artillery Company Steeplechase over 4 miles
1. Liberator, aged horse owned by Mr Tom Jay
2. Lord George, aged horse owned by Mr Fred Ellis
3. DIO, aged horse owned by Mr Brutton
Betting: 6/4 Liberator, 5/2 Hazard, 4/1 DIO, 4/1 Lord George

The only recorded meeting took place on Saturday 25th January 1862.

Course today Starting on farmland owned by Mr Alexander on Mill Hill half a mile from town.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to