Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest date: 1866
Final Meeting: 1942
The Japanese racecourse of Negishi was located in the treaty port of Yokohama on the outskirts of Yamate. It was Japan’s first purpose-built racecourse and first opened its gates for racing in 1866. There had been racing in Japan earlier than this date, with a course at the back of the foreign settlement of Kannai in 1862, although it was built on unsuitable ground on a swamp. The Negishi racecourse became so popular that the Emperor Meiji attended races on no fewer than 14 occasions.

Local Patrons Emperor Meiji

Note that the painting shown above, painted by Erin in 1872, is in the public domain because the artist died more than 70 years ago.

Racing continued at the site for the next 76 years, although in 1929 the grandstand had to be rebuilt after suffering damage from the Kanto earthquake.  The course owners employed the American architect J H Morgan to design the new grandstand.

Although racing did continue during the early years of the Second World War, racing finally ceased in 1942 when the site was used by the military. After the War ended the racecourse became a public park and, very appropriately, an equestrian sports area and museum.

The final meeting took place in 1942.
Course today After racing ceased in 1942 the ground became a public par, an equestrian centre and an equestrian museum.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to