Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: Monday 19th April 1909
Final meeting: Saturday 13th March 1915
The North Yorkshire hamlet of Picton, in the Hambleton district of the County, has a population of barely 100, but first held races on Monday 19th April 1909 and continued for just 6 years. The hamlet lies about 7 miles from Middlesbrough and is almost on the border of North Yorkshire and Stockton-on-Tees. The racecourse, just a mile from the Railway Station, was on farmland owned by Mr G Casebourne, with the inaugural 1909 meeting opening appropriately enough with the Inaugural Handicap Chase which was won by Ravenscliffe. By 1910 the course was hosting 3 meetings a year in March, April and November, with celebrations after racing at the Station Hotel. However, within 4 years, and near the outbreak of World War I, the course held a solitary meeting in April when only 13 horses raced. The War was of greater priority than horse racing and the final meeting at the track was on Saturday 13th March 1915.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 1 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons

G.Casebourne, Oliver Casebourne

Principal Races

Picton Handicap Chase, Picton Novices Hurdle

Saturday 15th March 1913
Grand Picton Handicap Hurdle over 2 miles
1. Closewood Beck, 4 year old owned by Miss E Taylor
2. Rough and Ready, 5 year old owned by Mr A Robinson
3. Ambrosius, 4 year old owned by Mr J Thompson

The final meeting took place on Saturday 13th March 1915.
Course today On farmland owned by Mr G Casebourne a mile from the railway station.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com