Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Port of Spain, on the Gulf of Paria, is the capital city of Trinidad and Tobago, although it is only the third largest city after Chaguanas and San Fernando, boasting a municipal population of about 38,000 inhabitants. The Queen’s Park Savannah, created by Sir Ralph Woodford in 1817, is the largest open space in the city occupying about 260 acres. It was on Queen’s Park that the first Trinidad and Tobago racecourse was located, hosting registered meetings as early as 1853, although unregistered races were held well before this date. Indeed, a traveller to Trinidad mentioned horse races on the Grand Savannah in 1828. The first Grandstand was erected in 1854, although at this point the meetings were organised haphazardly, without any formal Board overseeing the meetings. That all changed in 1897 when the Trinidad Turf Club was founded, and a more permanent Grandstand erected. The meetings were very popular during the early years of the 20th century, and just after the Second World War had ended facilities were improved, including the rebuilding of the old Grandstand. Racing continued on Queen’s Park Savannah until the early 1990s when the attention of the racing authorities switched to Arima Racecourse where the principal races, the Derby, Guineas, Oaks, Gold Cup and President’s Cup are all held.

Local Patrons Trinidad Turf Club

The final meeting took place in the early 1990s when attention switched to the Santa Rosa Park Racecourse in Arima.

Course today The area remains a well used open Park.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email johnwslusar@gmail.com

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing johnwslusar@gmail.com stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to johnwslusar@gmail.com