Aintree racecourse;Ascot;Ayr;Bangor;Bath;Beverley;Brighton;Carlisle;Cartmel;Catterick;Cheltenham Festival;Chepstow;Chester;Doncaster St Leger;Epsom Derby;Exeter racecourse;Fakenham;Folkestone;Fontwell Park;Glorious Goodwood;Hamilton Park;Haydock Park;Hereford Racecourse;Hexham;Huntingdon;Kelso;Kempton Park;Leicester;Lingfield;Ludlow;Market Rasen;Musselburgh;Newbury Racecourse;Newcastle;Newmarket;Newton Abbot;Nottingham;Perth;Plumpton;Pontefract Racecourse;Redcar;Ripon;Salisbury;Sandown Park;Sedgefield;Southwell;Stratford;Taunton;Thirsk;Towcester;Uttoxeter;Warwick;Wetherby;Wincanton;Windsor;Wolverhampton;Worcester;Yarmouth;York Ebor

Earliest meeting: 1961
Final meeting: Continues to operate.
The first recorded races in Jersey were in 1832 when a 2 day meeting was noted to have taken place on the sand at St Aubin. Since that early meeting races have flourished at various locations including Greve d'Azette (1836), Gorey Common (1843), Les Quennevais (1906) and Les Landes (from 1961). The Principal race in the early days was the King's Cup, a trophy given by King George IV.  In the last years of the 19th century as many as four courses were used, including St Ouens, but between 1906 and 1961 only Les Quennevais was operational. Those 19th century meetings at St Ouens were held on a course to the west of the present day course, but when Les Quennevias closed in 1961 racing transferred to Les Landes, its present home, which can be found in St Ouen next to the ruins of Grosnez Castle.

This racecourse is covered in Volume 2 of Racecourses Here Today and Gone Tomorrow. Ordering details shown below.
Local Patrons Mr C Le Sueur, Mr W Goddard, Mr E Single
Principal Races Her Majesty’s Cup, Jersey Town Plate, Grosnez Castle Handicap Plate, St Ouens Farmers Race, St Ouens Town Plate

Wednesday 25th July 1900
Her Majesty’s Cup over 2 miles
1. Sir James owned by Mr J E Martin
2. Rover owned by Mr P Quenalt
3. Jersey Swell owned by Mr C Le Sueur

Wednesday 15th August 1900

The St Ouens Farmers Race over 2 miles
1. Sir James owned by Mr J E Martin

The Town Plate over 2 miles
1. Poltroon owned by Mr W Goddard
2. Abdul owned by Mr F Robins
3. Skiddaw owned by Mr A Poignard

The Grosnez Castle Handicap Plate over 2 miles
1. Oxford Belle owned by Mr E Single
2. Jersey Swell owned by Mr C Le Sueur
3. Skiddaw owned by Mr A Poignard

Course location: At a range of venues starting at St Aubin and continuing at Les Landes to this day.
If you have photos, postcards, racecards. badges, newspaper cuttings or book references about the old course, or can provide a photo of how the ground on which the old racecourse stood looks today, then email

Much of the information about this course has been found using internet research and is in the public domain. However, useful research sources have been:-

London Illustrated News

Racing Illustrated 1895-1899

The Sporting & Dramatic Illustrated

Northern Turf History Volumes 1-4 by J.Fairfax-Blakeborough

The Sporting Magazine

A Long Time Gone by Chris Pitt first published in 1996 ISBN 0 900599 89 8

Racing Calendars which were first published in 1727

ISBN 978-0-9957632-0-3

652 pages

774 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-1-0

352 pages

400 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-2-7

180 pages

140 former courses

ISBN 978-0-9957632-3-4

264 pages

235 former courses

Copies of the above books are only available by emailing stating your requirements, method of payment (cheque payable to W.Slusar) or Bank transfer, and the address where the book(s) should be sent.
Download an order form
  Quantity Cost
Volume 1 North of Hatfield £19.99 + £4 postage    
Volume 2 South of Hatfield £14.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 3 Wales & Scotland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volume 4 Ireland £9.99 + £3 postage    
Volumes 1 - 4 £54.96 + £5 postage    
Postage & Packaging    
Email order form to