This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing first came to the
World Famous Wembley Stadium on 16th May 1929. It is recorded that a gate of 19456
witnessed this first meeting, which was to prove successful for Roger Frogley in the
Empire Stadium Shield.
The team initially operated in the Southern League, but by 1932 had moved to the National League, and reached National League Division One by 1937.
Training events also took place on the Stadium Car Park, with indoor events being held at the Wembley Arena.
The final speedway event took place on 5th September 1981.
|The team were League Champions on no less than 10 occasions, including a consecutive set of victories from 1949 until 1953.|
|The first greyhound meeting took place at Wembley on 10th December 1927, the first winner starting from Trap 4 was a dog called Spin. It has hosted some of the major events of the sport, including the Coronation Stakes over 490 metres, first won by Bearded Biddy in 1928, the Gold Cup over 655 metres, first won in 1929 by Chain Mail, and the Trafalgar Cup over 490 metres.|
|The team have always been known as the Lions throughout their history.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection