|WEST HAM HAMMERS
This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing first came to West
Ham in 1928 at the Custom House Stadium on Prince Regents Lane. The first event was staged
on 28th July 1928 and proved to be a success for Sprouts Elder. The team joined the
Southern League in 1929 and were elevated to the National League by 1932. By 1938 they
were in National League Division One.
The team enjoyed success for a period of 43 years but the final meeting was held on 23rd May 1972 when the Bombers lost to Hull by 40 points to 38.
|The team won the Knockout Cup in 1965 and were League Champions in 1937 and 1965.|
|West Ham opened as a greyhound track on the 4th August 1928 in front of a massive crowd of 56000. and was recognised as one of the fastest in the country. It hosted the Cesarewitch, run over 600 yards, and was won in 1930 by Mick the Miller. The Cambridgeshire was also competed for at the track. The track finally closed its gates to greyhound racing in May 1972.|
|The team has been known at varius times as the Hammers, the Bombers and the Hawks.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection