|WHITLEY BAY SPEEDWAY
This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|For a brief period speedway took place at Hillheads in the Tyne & Wear town of Whitley Bay. The first meeting was held on 20th April 1929 and resulted in victory for Harry Whitfield in the Golden Helmet.|
|The team operated as an Open team and on 29th May they held their Sixth meeting. Remarkably a programme from that meeting has survived and is shown below.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
The racing circuit was 440 yards in length
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection