This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway came to Wolverhampton in
1928. The first event was held at the Monmore Green Stadium on 30th May 1928 when a crowd
in excess of 5000 saw Jack Parker triumph. The team enjoyed Open racing for 2 years before
a long spell without any racing.
Racing returned on 14th October 1950 when the home team beat Sheffield by 58 to 26.
The team gradually worked its way up through the League structure, reaching the Premier League in 1995 and making the Elite League in 1997.
|The team won the Knockout Cup in 1996 and were League Champions in 1963, 1991, 1996 and 2002.|
|Greyhound racing first took place at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton in 1932. It has hosted many famous races in its long history, including the Midland St Leger over 484 metres and the BBC TV Trophy in 1975 when the race was won by Lizzie's Girl.|
|The team have been known as the Wulfrunians, the Wasps and the Wolves throughout their history.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
A History of
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
|More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis|
|The First floodlit match at Wolves on 29th August 1929|