This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place in the town of Aldershot in Hampshire at two separate venues since 1929. The first track was at the Aldershot Sports Stadium situated in Boxhall's Lane and that first meeting is recorded as having taken place on 3rd July 1929.|
|That first venue was short lived and lasted only 8 meetings before closing on 5th August 1929.|
|It was to be fully 21 more years before
speedway returned to Aldershot, this time at the Stadium on Oxenden Road. The inaugural
meeting was held on 10th April 1950 and the team then joined the third tier of the
|The club made little progress up the league structure and became members of the Southern Area League in 1952. Open racing followed in 1960 and by August the club had held its final fixture.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend visit
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
The team at various times have been know as the Poppies and the Shots.
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection