Badges through the decades
The first enclosed coursing event took place in Plumpton on 28th December.
While coursing had continued to take place since 1876, the meetings were not well attended and fierce competition was coming from the other coursing tracks which were opening up around the country, especially at present day racecourses notably Haydock Park and Newcastle. Hence Plumpton sought to lay on wider entertainment and the first horse racing chase meeting took place on 11th February. The first race winner was the Harry Escott ridden Cowslip, starting at 7/2 and winning the Hunters Selling Plate by a distance.
Plumpton is firmly established as a racecourse with as many as 6 days racing taking place.
In April the Annual Southdown Hunt races, later associated with Lewes racecourse, were held at Plumpton for the first time and continued to be staged there until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, although no meeting took place in 1913.
Plumpton Racecourse Limited is formed in April.
Plumpton gets its first grandstand, albeit transferred from Northampton racecourse.
A remarkable event took place at the racecourse this year when in February Sea Log and Wild Gander ran a dead heat in the Goring Selling Hurdle. What made this remarkable was that Wild Gander returned to the course in April to contest the Uckfield Selling Hurdle and dead heated for a second time, but this time with Cripplegate.
Scenes from 1910 Sussex Derby
The final meeting at the course took place on the 3rd April due to the outbreak of the War.
On 17th December racing takes place for the first time after the end of World War I, marking the start of a 2 day meeting. The first race after the War was the Reardon ridden Lady Alicia.
Ernest Robinson took over as the Clerk of the Course, a position he was to hold for 14 years.
Plumptons first New Years Day meeting is held, a tradition which was to continue for the next 23 years.
The first tote race at Plumpton is won by Word of Honour and pays 9 bob!!
Plumpton stages the Southdown meeting once again in April and continues to do so until 1939.
Ernest Robinson is replaced as Clerk of the Course.
On 8th March the final meeting takes place due to the outbreak of the Second World War.
The first meeting after the end of the War takes place on 20th February.
Nickel Coin wins the 'Abergavenny' Challenge Cup when ridden by J Karowski, prior to defeating Royal Tan in the 1951 Grand National.
Plumpton racecourse gets a new owner in the shape of the solicitor Isidore Kerman.
The Queen Mother enjoys her first winner at the course when Super Fox is triumphant in the hands of Clive Chapman on 15th April.
The Regency Stand is opened for Members.
The two enclosures of Tatterstalls and the Silver Ring are amalgamated.
Sir Ian Trethowan opens the Southdown Stand which, at the time, was called the Pavillion Stand.
JGrand National winning trainer Jenny Pitman sends 4 horses to the course and chalks up a four timer.
The running of the course is taken over by Lingfield Park at the November meeting.
Peter Savill and Adrian Pratt purchase the racecourse.
The April meeting witnesses the use of the water jump for the final time.
Brandy Snap, ridden by Mick Fitzgerald, is the last of the Queen Mums 14 winners at Plumpton.