This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing is known to have taken place in at least 4 separate venues around the City of Cardiff, although the first racing took place at the White City Stadium in Grangetown on 1928. That inaugural meeting took place on 26th December 1928 in front of a crowd in excess of 25 thousand.|
|The team enjoyed periods of open racing between 1928 and 1937, and had one year competing in the Provincial League.|
|As is customary, speedway followed greyhound
racing, and the first recorded greyhound meeting at the White City Stadium in Cardiff was
on 7th April 1928.
|By the early 1950's the team had found a new home at Penarath Road Stadium and held their first meet on 5th April 1951 and were to remain here for just over 2 years, holding their final match on 2nd July 1953.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
Throughout their history the team has been known as the Dragons.
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinners excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection