This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing enjoyed a short burst of life in Castleford, West Yorkshire in the late seventies. It took place at the Whitwood Stadium and the first meeting was held on 12th June 1979 although there had been demonstration races the previous year.|
|The team took part in just two seasons of Open Racing before closing on 24th June 1980.|
|As is usual, the Stadium had been built for greyhound racing and staged its first meeting as early as 1938. Indeed, the sport was to last for a further 63 years before holding its final meeting in January 2001.|
|The track length was 202 yards.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
Throughout their all too brief history the team were known as the Kings.
|More detailed information is available
from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection