This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway first took place at the York Road Greyhound Stadium in 1929 with an inaugural meeting being held on 1st September of that year. Th team held Open races for just that year and then there was a period of down time. Speedway returned to the area in 1969 for the most successful time in their history. The team contested British League Division 2 in the 1969 and 1970 seasons.|
|The final meet took place on 4th October 1970, but finished on a high note when Bradford were defeated 43-35.|
|Greyhound racing took place at the stadium on
York Road as early as 1928. It was one of the first to hold a meeting with that first
meeting taking place on 14th April of that year. Racing continued at the track for 58
years before the final meeting in 1986.
|The track was 350 yards throughout the operational years.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
The team were known as Stallions adnd Dragons throughout their history.
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection