|DUBLIN EAGLES &
This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|It is known that speedway racing has taken place in at least 7 different venues spread around the Dublin area. The first recorded meeting took place in 1928 at Harold's Cross greyhound Stadium. That first event was on 15th September 1928. The venue was only used for that year. It was in 1946 that speedway returned to the capital and by 1948 the venue had changed yet again, to Santry Sports Stadium.|
|From 1948 onwards the team took part in an Open race programme.|
|Ireland is famous for its greyhounds and its
greyhound tracks. As well as Harold's Cross being used as a venue, the more prestigious
Shelbourne Park was used from 1950. As a greyhound cicuit it holds some of the principal
races in the Irish calendar.
|The last meeting held at Shelbourne Park was on 20th June 1971 and resulted in a win for the home team against the Monarchs.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
The team were known as the Tigers, Saints, Eagles, Falcons and Lizods!
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
|1950 Shelbourne||1951 Shelbourne|