This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place at a couple of venues in Halifax since the first meeting in 1928. That initial meeting took place at the Thrum Hall Cricket Ground on a cinder track on 2nd May 1928. It was witnessed by a crowd in excess of 5000 and was even more remarkable in that it was lit by flares spread throughout the circuit, no doubt an amazing sight. The final meeting at the Thrum Hall circuit was held on 4th September 1930. By 1949 the Dukes had a new venue at The Shay, a ground they shared with Halifax Football Club. The first meeting took place on 6th April 1949 when they were defeated by 45-37 by Yarmouth in a Division 3 match. They enjoyed 2 further seasons but then closed until 1965.|
|The team won the Knockout Cup in 1966 and werealso League Champions in that year.The team were in the National League Division 2 in 1950-51, and were in the British League in the 1965-67 seasons. They reached Division 1 in 1968 and remained there for 6 seasons.Throughout their history the team have been nicknamed the Dukes.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to www.halifaxdukes.co.uk
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link opposite: 1949 - 99|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection