This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
Speedway has taken place in the Stoke area since 1929 at a couple of venues. Initially meetings took place at Hanley Stadium, with the first match being on 11th April when 7000 people were in attendance. The team operated in National League Division Three and Division Two whilst at this venue. The final meeting took place on 26th October 1963.
The team moved to Chesterton Stadium, with the first match taking place on 12th April 1973. The team gradually rose through the league structure and finally reached the Premier League in 1996.
|The team won the League Championship in 1949 and were Pairs Champions in 1984, 1988 and again in 1989.|
|Greyhound racing took place at Hanley Stadium as early as 1928, with the first recorded meeting being on 31st March of that year. Racing was to continue at the track for the next 35 years, with the final meeting taking place on 18th October 1963. Racing also took place at Chesterton for a prolonged period of time.|
|Throughout their history the team, naturally enough, have been known as the Potters, although they have had a Spitfires team and did join with Cradley Heath to become Heathens in 1996.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the Stoke Potters (Paperback)
by Howard Jones ISBN-10: 0953798453
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
|More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis|