|ST AUSTELL GULLS
This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place at a
couple of venues in the St Austell area of Cornwall since 1949. Initially it was staged at
the Cornish Stadium, on Par Moor, with the first match taking place on 14th June 1949
being witnessed by a healthy crowd in excess of 12000.
The team competed in Open races, Training events and minor league events until the final year of League action at the Stadium in 1963.
|The team won the Knockout Cup in 1998 and 1999 and were League Champions in 1998.|
|By 1997 the team had moved to Claycountry Moto Parc and took part in their first match on 3rd June of that year. The team took part in the Conference League in 1998 until 2000 and then joined the Premier League for the 2001-02 seasons.|
|The track length at the Cornish Stadium was 360 yards, whilst at Claycountry Moto Parc it was 230 metres.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
|Throughout their history the team have been known as the Pixies, the Badgers, the Dragons, the Tigers and the Gulls.|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection