This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway has taken place at
Cleveland Park on the Stockton Road since 1928. At the initial meeting held on the dirt
track on the 23rd August 1928 almost 15000 were present to see the Stockton Handicap.
Since then the team has gone from strength to strength originally in Open Racing, but by
1939 it was competing in National League Division 2. Spells in British League Divisions
Two and Three were interspersed with bouts in the National League from 1975 to 1990. In
1995 the Premier League beckoned for the first time.
The final meeting closed on 19th September 1996 when Middlesborough defeated Bradford by 54-42.
|The team were League Champions in 1946, 1947 and 1981 and were Four-Team Champions in 1985 and again in 1986.|
|Cleveland Park, Middlesborough, hosted its first greyhound race meeting on 19th May 1928 when a crowd of over 5000 enjoyed the 8 race card. One of the features of racing at the track is the inclusion of a number of exciting handicap races, often with only 5 dogs.|
|At various times throughout their history the team has been known as the Bears, the Teesiders, the Tigers and the Cleveland Bays.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.