This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Speedway racing came to the
Weymouth area in 1954 at the Wessex Stadium on Radpole Lane. The first event took place on
4th August of that year when a Young England side defeated an Overseas side by 48-35. The
team initially took part in Open races, but entered the National League Division Two in
1955 and drifted between Open races, training events and second tier leagues for 30 years.
The last match took place on 2nd November 1985.
Speedway was resurrected on the 15th August 2003 and have continued to compete ever since.
|The team won the Pairs Championship in 1982 and again in 1983, and were Knockout Cup winners in 2005.|
|The Wessex Stadium hosted greyhound racing for the first time in 1954 and shared the venue with speedway for 31 years.|
|The team have been known as the Scorchers, the Royals,the Eagles and the Wizards throughout their history.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to undertake further research we can recommend
a visit to
and for those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
|To view a complete collection of badges choose the relevant link below:|
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.