This site is not an official website for the track shown here and is neither approved or endorsed by the speedway team.
|Wigan has witnessed speedway racing
at 2 separate tracks in the Lancashire town. The first recorded meeting took place in 1947
and was held at Poolstock Stadium.
A crowd of 5000 people attended that first match on 4th April 1947.
|The team competed in the National League in 1947 before reverting to Open racing|
|Both of the tracks where speedway took place
were also used initially as greyhound racing circuits. Indeed, the Poolstock Stadium held
its first meeting on 9th March 1932 and was to continue racing for 41 years.
The Woodhouse Lane track held a meeting even earlier on 17th March 1928 and continued to race until 1961.
|At the Woodhouse Lane track the team contested Open races.|
|This section gives a comprehensive picture of
the badges produced for the team throughout the ages, but only provides the briefest of
glimpses of its history. For those wishing to read more widely we recommend a visit to
Complete History of the British
by Peter Oakes ISBN-10: 0948882077
The team were known as the Warriors and the Panthers during their history.
More detailed information is available from "Homes of British Speedway' by Robert Bamford & John Jarvis
A further great source of information is provided on John Skinner's excellent website on Defunct Speedway tracks, with a link given below.
For all Speedway enthusiasts, John Somerville’s website should always be your first port of call:-https://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection